Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bouillabase

I made this the other night, and Dad keeps saying.  "This is SO good, I just love it".  he may have been starving, his claims exaggerated, but he really does eat each and every drop in his bowl.  Add any kind of fish you want.  If you don't like scallops, don't add them..ditto for any other suggested fish. Don't worry, it won't bite you.

Slowly saute  1/2 onion and 2 medium cloves of garlic (or prepared chopped  garlic from a jar) till soft in a bit of olive oil.
Add 4-5 cans or approximately 2 quarts of diced tomatoes - any kind you like(not with chilies though)
Add 1 bay leaf and 2 tsp each thyme and basil
Simmer on low for about 45 minutes. Season to taste w/ salt and pepper
Now add snapper, cod, shrimp, scallops to your taste.  I love cod, especially. Cook another 10 minutes(no more) and serve with a nice loaf of your favorite crusty bread.
YUMMY!

6-8 servings

This last time I also sauteed some brown mushrooms and added them. You don't have to, but it sounded good. If you need to learn how to saute mushrooms call me.  I just learned a trick from Julia Child! (via Julie and Julie - the film)

No comments:

Post a Comment