Monday, March 1, 2010

Cowboy Calzone

This is from my Pioneer Woman Cooks Cookbook.
As an important note, Ellie ate an entire Calzone for dinner tonight and loved it.

Brown...
1/2 pound hot breakfast sausage
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, finely diced

Drain off extra fat and add...
1 8 oz. can Rotel brand tomatoes with chillies
Cool.

In another bowl combine...
8 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 egg, beaten
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add the cooled meat mixture to the cheese mixture and stir gently to combine.

Roll out 1 premade pizza crust and cut into quarters, then into triangles. Fill with 1/4 cup of the mixture and wrap up. I suppose you could make this any way you wanted, but I chose to make them like I make chicken roll ups because they are easy for little hands to eat. You are supposed to brush them with olive oil, but I didn't, and they baked just fine.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 450 degrees, until golden brown. I served it with a simple salad and like I said, my kids loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment